The Bishop’s Annual Appeal, United in Ministry,
is the method by which the operation of the Diocese of Las Cruces is funded. Pastors and the Bishop’s Council oversee the process and recommend individual parish assessments. This funding:
- Supports ministries provided by the parishes: Religious Education & Youth Ministry, Parish and School support, Respect Life, Marriage Preparation, etc.
- Provides direct ministry when the scope of that ministry is too large or complex for any single parish to accomplish: Tribunal, Hospital Chaplains, Detention Ministry, Ethnic Ministry, Natural Family Planning, etc.
- Maintains centralized services and support for all parishes and schools in a more cost-effective manner than each parish or school providing the services themselves: Finance, Human Resources, Payroll, Development, Property Management, Catholic Diocese of Las Cruces Foundation, etc.
In addition, this funding enables the Diocese to:
- Provide continuing education and other services for priests and deacons; educate and form new priests and deacons; support retired priests and enable efforts to recruit new priests, deacons, and those called to consecrated life.
- Maintain communication with the, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and the Vatican, and provide financial support to these entities to demonstrate once again that “catholic” means “universal” and that our Church is bigger than any parish or diocese.
The Bishop’s Annual Appeal helps individuals, the parish and the Diocese realize their respective opportunities as Christian stewards.